GENERAL: Infrastructure Convrsions.

From: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Urban Planning Discussion List"
4-MAY-1994 00:23:35.84
To: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Multiple recipients of list
URBAN-L"
CC:
Subj: Converting Infrastructure

Date: Tue, 3 May 1994 15:21:00 0BS
From: "Kirkwood, John" <J.S.Kirkwood@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Converting Infrastructure
Sender: Urban Planning Discussion List <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Multiple recipients of list URBAN-L <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

On the subject of "rails to trails", I am a member of an organisation in the
UK, called SUSTRANS, that is dedicated to converting disused railway tracks
to use by cyclists and others. The following is an extract from a recent
SUSTRANS report:

"Sustrans is a charity which designs and builds traffic-free routes for
cyclists, walkers and people with disability. We hope to encourage a change
in transport policies, so as to lessen dependence on the motor car. We are
practical engineers and designers who aim to build at least one traffic-free
route into every urban area in Britain, and to create a national route
network. The huge popularity of the routes we have built demonstrates that
millions will choose to cycle and walk for many of their journeys, if only
the conditions are safe and attractive."

In a densely populated country like Britain the new cycle routes work
particularly well. There are many opportunities to undertake such
conversion work because of the government's policy of not supporting
uneconomic railway routes. Also, as most of these run into urban areas
they provide an excellent alternative for commuters.

During my boyhood I cycled everywhere. Now, because of traffic conditions,
I have to load my kids bikes onto the car and take them to a cycle route for
them to enjoy cycling - it's too dangerous on the roads. This is called
progress!

The address is as follows:

SUSTRANS
35 King Street