GENERAL: Infrastructure Conversions.

From: IN%"ag414@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Colin R. Leech" 3-MAY-1994 22:54:49.78
To: IN%"URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" "Multiple recipients of list
URBAN-L"
CC:
Subj: RE: Converting Infrastructure

Date: Mon, 2 May 1994 18:09:50 -0400
From: "Colin R. Leech" <ag414@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Converting Infrastructure
Sender: Urban Planning Discussion List <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Multiple recipients of list URBAN-L <URBAN-L%TREARN.BITNET@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Comments: Warning -- original Sender: tag was news@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Comments: To: [email protected]

In a previous article, bdr2@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Brent Donovan Ryan) says:

>either hiking trails, bikeways, or other means. I have heard of a few cases
>("Rails to Trails") where such things have occurred; a few case studies I can
>think of are in Cape Cod and New Haven, CT. Is this a nationwide movement,
>and how successful has it been?

As a Canadian, my understanding is that RtT is a popular and successful
national movement in the USA.

>be interested in hearing about other forms. Does anyone know of cases in which
>highway medians (they are such huge land-grabbers) and/or interchanges have
>been successfully used for recreational space?

Many of the newer rail systems (LRT and commuter rail) have used highway
medians. It's also a popular way to create new HOV lanes.

In Ottawa, much of the Transitway has been build on abandoned rail (and
old streetcar) ROW.

There are a few places where park&ride lots have been designed to fill the
"interior" space normally isolated by a ramp.

Back in a university course, my group examined a highway interchange in
Kitchener Ontario. This interchange has problems because heavily used on
and off ramps are too close together. Rather than building an ugly and
expensive flyover, I suggested that one of the loop ramps be extended into
an existing sports field. This would take the ramp over an adjacent
arterial road, which would be the perfect way to access the otherwise
sterilized land in the middle of the ramp. This space could then be used
to replace (possibly even increase, I don't remember for sure) the
recreational land. Well. *I* thought it was a great idea. Nothing has ever
been done (it's now a dozen years later).

--
Colin R. Leech |-> My opinions are my own, not my
ag414@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx |-> employer's. You may consider