GENERAL: Judgements.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 8-MAY-1994
11:30:05.04
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: Judging one's own work

Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 11:30:21 EDT
From: LES SATTINGER <e2vasat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Judging one's own work
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

>I have considerable trouble judging my own work. The main
>problem is that in looking at what I have made I get drawn back into
>the mindset in which I was making it; but this is a useless

Probably the best solution to judging one's own work is the passage of
time. When the work is newly created it is probably difficult for all
of us to seperate the energy of the creation from the piece itself. As
time passes, the mindset diminishes and we can then be more distanced
from the act of creation, allowing a more global judgement. There are
always those pieces. however, which we know are "right" at inception as
well as those, despite a high energy level, that just don't work.

My nickle. Les