Re: Designing a wood beam

- - The original note follows - -

From: bobruth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Robert Ruth)
Subject: Re: Designing a wood beam
Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 20:55:32 GMT

In article <2qi1t5$j1n@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Soonthon.Lupkitaro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(Soonthon Lupkitaro) writes:
>In article <Cp8u71.3sK@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>BARR DOUG <barr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>I am trying to tell if a wood beam of a certain size is large enough
>>for it's application. If anyone knows how to design evenly loaded
>>wood roof beams with dead and live loads and wants to help me figure it
>>out, I'd appreciate it.
>
>At first, you must determine amount of load (dead and live loads). Next,
determine its cross section of beam. Using bending diagram to finnd working
stress. Check with allowable stress. Check for deflection. If everything is
within tolerance, then the beam design is OK.
>Se
>--
> \ The above does not represent OIT, UNC-CH, laUNChpad, or its other users. /

If you are intrested in a book that has tables for wood beam construction
and an explanation of the equations, so you can figure it yourself, if
you are working on a custome project, then either buy or borrow the
Uniform Building Code put out by the International Conference of
Building Officials. This is considered to be the bible of the
construction industry and contains everything that you want and
didn't want to know about standard requirments for use
of construction materials. It is designed as a refence book, so
it does take a little bit of thought to find what you are looking
for at times, but it is still in my humble opinion one of the
best referance books for someone in the constrution fields to own.

Bob Ruth
bobruth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx