GENERAL: Judgements...

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 8-MAY-1994
17:12:38.54
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: RE: Judging one's own work

Date: Sun, 8 May 1994 16:10:32 CDT
From: Vail Valerie <Val.Vail.Saichek@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Judging one's own work
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> I have considerable trouble judging my own work. The main
> problem is that in looking at what I have made I get drawn back into
> the mindset in which I was making it; but this is a useless
> perspective in trying to see how the work would look to someone
> else. Another problem is that I get overattached to things that I've
> put effort into, and have difficulties just tossing them out and
> starting from scratch; instead, I almost unconsciously try to talk
> myself into regarding them as "good enough".

One of my hard ass painting instructors at college told me something that
has forever stayed with me. He said (regarding one's own art:) "Nothing is
precious". That has stood me in good stead. I remember that even the
greatest masterpieces with crumble in time, and if my work is not worth
saving, I throw it away. What he was getting at is the idea of valuing
something as a child values a blanket, it, indeed is precious - but not
meaningful exect as a transition object. If your art represents a
psychological transition object instead of a step along the path of
development, then, indeed, the work fills with manna, and it is difficult to
part with. Also, abundence is important to remember. You have your intire
life to creat, create, create. The is not shortage of good ideas, or of
your own potential for putting out the work. Beleive that you are a font of
ideas awaiting emergance. Many artists seem to work out of scarcity
regarding their artistic output. This is a way of scaring oneself.
Obviously creativity is a process of ebb and flow, and of switching from one
creative expression to another. If you are not painting at the moment, do
you then believe your "creativity" has been shut off? Many artists equate
production with creativity. Often spaces of time between works are periods
of "incubation". Dr. Ernest Rossi developed the four stages of creativity
which follow 1. Incubation, 2. Data acquisition, 3. Manifestation 4.
Return to society what one accomplishes. This is based on the path of the
hero.>
> Is judging one's own work and being ruthless about it something one
> gets progressively better at? Are there strategies one can use to
> improve in this respect? Does it become more difficult again when
> one moves to a new medium?
> I beleive it helps to see as much work as possible to be a realistic judge
of your own work. I still go to galleries and am amazed at what is lousy to
my sense of esthetics, and say to myself, this stuff got in, so can mine!
Is this realistic? Works for me! Also, it helps to remember that you'll
always be improving in concept, content or execution, so what you are
evaluating is where you are now. Not where you "could" be.
--
* Val.Vail.Saichek@xxxxxxxxxx |"A man said to the universe-- *
* | Sir, I exist! *