conceptual ideas in the real world

I am hoping for a reply on a question about the use of
theoretical conceptual ideas outside of university design. Are
methods such as these used often in theoutside world where time and
money are becoming such important issues. Or are user and
enviromental issues the driving forces behind most designs derived
by architects for everyday people , and if so should these strong
conceptual ideas be so strongly beaten into students who may never
have the opportunity to use these techniques. My name is Jon
Webber and i am a student at the university of newcastle currently in
year three doing a report for a study elective and it would be greatly
appreciated if any replies could be urgently forwarded.