Re: music & Arch. from Joany Janicki

Joany -
Firstly, I'm sorry that I have taken so long to get back to you, but I've been
inundated with work and have hardly had a chance to read my mail.
>Also, this trend towards minimalism in architecture also relates to
>contemporary music. It seems like the bands that I listen to don't have alot
of
>complexity as far as the number of instruments used, words that make sense
>and really me an something in society.
For someone who didn't thing that they knew what I was looking for, you
certainly knew what I was looking for. There are many current bands who
have songs with banal lyrics and monotonous beat. (eg Dum Da Dum by
Melodie MC with such great lyrics as "dum- dum-da- dum-dum-dum-dum-dum.
That's the way you gotta go, put your hands in the air when I say so")
Unfortunately, this minimalistic aproach is influencing architecture giving
much less grandure that previous decades. I don't want to be offensive to
Americans, but I think that most of this minimalism is influenced by U.S.A.-
based rap and dance music, which in turn influences the culture of Australia.
>It seems like the bands that I listen to don't have alot of complexity as far
as the
>number of instruments used, words that make sense and really mean
>something in society.
Alongside the surge of dance music, there seems to be a move towards
"Unplugged" acoustic recordings. The minimal instruments and minimal
production again gives us minimalistic architecture. As for words that make
sense and really mean something in society, I don't think that there any many
songs with lyrics that do mean something to society (with the possible
exception of Ozzy Osbourne's Suicide Solution, an anti-alcohol song which
some moron thought was encouraging kids to kill themselves and tried to ban
it).
>-My only real relationship to heavy metal is my cousin who moved to LA 8
>years ago with his heavy metal band to make it -big-.
I take it that by the way that you highlighted big, your cousin's band hasn't
really gone too far in the world.
MARK BONELLI
P.S. Someone else responded to my Music & Arch. question by telling me to
try the newest phamplet architecture book. Please forgive my ignorance, but
what is the phamplet architecture book??? I've asked around the faculty but
no-one seems to know. Can I assume that it is the journal published by your
national architecture institute, similar to Britain's "The Architectural
Review"
and Japan's "a+u"? THANX