ARCHITECTURE: AIA ONLINE

On 05-24-94, HOWARD RAY said to AARON RUMPLE:
HR>For those of you not in the loop, AIA Online will be available
HR>shortly in a Mac version (this week or next, I believe). The mucky
HR>mucks in Washington don't realize what a powerful tool this could be
HR>to truly reform the organization and make it a real instrument for
HR>architects and students.
HR>We have an opportunity to make our lives as architects better by
HR>making use of this new online service, through its BBS, etc. Due to
HR>popular pressure, the price of using it has dropped to .15 per minute
HR>(anything over0 cents is exorbitant, in my view, considering that our
HR>dues are higher than the American Bar Association's). Beginning next
HR>year the service will be free. I urge everyone to consider
HR>participating in this.

How about a BBS Network that is FREE and run by the AIA members. I'm a
member in the Saint Louis area and running a BBS on my system. I have
been working with the local chapter over the past few months in getting
the BBS established as a tool for the local chapter. What I hope to get
accomplished this summer is a mail transfer system setup with several of
the larger metropolitan areas around the country.

By BBS is a part of Fidonet and Toadnet and I soon hope to have a
Internet Gateway established (the software is in place) By using
existing technology we could connect Architects at the chapter level
very quickly. This has several advantages, and distinctions with respect
to AIA-Online.

1. Existing technology would be used. Using FIDO and Internet standards
would allow anyone to connect regardless of the software or platform
that is used. BBS software is very inexpensive and well supported.

2. A local call. setting up systems around the country would keep the
users phone bill down. This is important in getting use up.

3. Contact with other professionals and the public. This is probably the
most important. The BBS system of each chapter could be used as a
powerful educational tool. This is how I have structured my system.
Dedicated to the Design community, but open to the public.

4. Local control. The systems that would be controlled by the chapter
could be constructed to best serve the needs of the members.

The systems could be run in several different ways:

1. Individual operator. A volunteer could donate his time and resources
to the operation of a node. (As in my case.) My operation shares the
same line as my fax so the cost is only that of the minimal long
distance charges. (About $5.00 per month)

2. Run by a local chapter office. This would be ideal, but some one
would need to maintain the system on a regular basis.

3. Run by a firm. A firm could volunteer to host a node. This could be
set up on a secretarial computer and multi-tasked so the firm would not
use the use of a machine (again it could share the same line as a fax)

4. Run by another group. Other related groups might be interested and
resources could be shared. Such as ASLA, BOCA, Etc...

4. Have a existing BBS system pick up the message bases. For the cost of
the phone and a few cases of beer, I'm sure that their are a lot of
SysOps that wouldn't mind carrying a few extra message bases.

I am currently working on a set of guidelines so that I can start
getting some other chapters interested. Who knows, eventually this could
even connect to the Online system.

Up and running for free in the Midwest.....

The Octagon Infoserver BBS
314-863-7205

:)
Aaron Rumple, AIA