Re: Contributions Wanted for Book on Internet Culture

hello, david.

i read your message about a possible book project and it sounds
interesting. the internet will redefine our notions of space, place, and
community. for artists like myself, it will also engender new ideas about
audience.

i am a visual artist, and for the last 10 years or so i've made images
utilizing the human body. for the last few years that has narrowed to
mostly the male body. the body is an encredibly expressive instrument
which constantly amazes me. as i've gotten involved in making digital
imagery, and now am involved in making art specifically for distribution on
the internet, i have been particularly sensitive to the fact of a "space"
that lacks dimension or volume. in the emerging virtual communities of the
internet, the old body/identity relationships no longer hold. much of my
current work deals with this.

it would be great fun to create a written piece that would also include
imagery. would you be interested in a word/image piece?

i could send you a few examples of my imagery. i've also had a short
written piece published called "Life
With Father", which would give you a feel for my writing.

let me know. good luck with this project.

js.
joseph squier joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

assistant professor, photography
school of art and design, university of illinois
408 e. peabody drive, champaign, illinois, 61820, usa

voice: 217.333.0855 fax: 217.244.7688