Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism --- The Green Architecture

- - The original note follows - -

From: John Young <jya@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 1994 16:53:15 -0400
To: HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Individualism vs. Collectivism --- The Green Architecture

>Howard, I am interested in the Green Architecture
>movement. Any adresses or phone numbers would be
>helpful.
>
>Obviously, collective efforts are beyond the scope of
>individual abilities, so we need to contact each other
>and collaborate.
>
>But, what really troubles me, is the degradation of
>collective efforts which is apparent in all of the
>media - TV, print, even entertainment. I am most
>interested on a technical level with methods which
>stimulate collective action. There are some obvious
>manipulative techniques which can and have been used
>for short-term collective thinking, ie. Gulf War. But,
>what can be employed to awaken the long-term interests
>of the collective?

I think "the long-term interests of the collective" will not be
awakened so as the collective remains pacified, and perhaps
cowed, by dramatic myths.

The myth of the architect as hero, promoted in literature as
uniquely responsible for creative work, belies the collective
process by which built architecture is produced, used and
maintained. Those who promote architecture for their own
purposes-- patrons, teachers, architectural historians,
publishers, publicists, critics, manufacturers, realtors, banks
-- find this hero myth more dramatic than an accurate portrayal
of the multi-fold and mani-partied common endeavor.

Mr. Lauzzana correctly links this myth to the media,
entertainment and war where celebration of the hero distorts
truth for the sake of a drama.

The recent exchanges on this list about the "best architects"
are examples of such celebration of heroes.

A "green architecture" might bear collective fruit by providing
an alternative to the heroic canon, by offering a context for
individuals to contribute their best efforts to a shared goal.

The first and best effort of individuals will be to define what
this goal may be and how it may be shared. Perhaps this can be
done here, unless there is a more suitable forum elsewhere
online.

John Young