Re: Architecture and Electricity

On Wed, 13 Jul 1994 09:42:09 EDT, .Karrie Jacobs wrote:

>First of all, the electrical system (like architecture) isn't the same
>everywhere. This is why we need different sorts of plugs and adapters to
>plug-in our electric razors and lap-top computers when we travel to other
>countries.

True, and this is common to responses I have received. I should
clarify that the Aesthetic is the same everywhere. Such as, the metal
transmission towers in Africa and America are of different voltages, but
they still look, act, and function under the same order and system every-
where. The aesthetic phenomena of metal towers in every country and
wooden/concrete poles in every country reminds me of an _order_ that
defined classical architecture. In describing architecture Vitruvius
declared its principles "Economy, Efficiency, Delight!" Now looking
back at the electrical system, these principles seem consistent with
an economy (information), efficiency (communication), delight (aesthetic).
The electrical system is the only evidence, outside of the individual
appliance, that a cohesive system exists. Taken together, the buildings
that make up the electrical system prove important to our modern living,
our political situation, and the power situation itself. Meaning that,
as architecture, the buildings that make the typologies of different
technologies, such as radio stations, supercomputer buildings, television
stations, power stations, ~ are physically linked by the web of wooden
poles and metal towers in every modern country, and these work under the
same order in every country. So to look again at these poles is to see
the evidence of an architecture that is about space/time, form, light
(artificial) and sound. My goal is to understand this environment. The
same environment in which we are both constantly being hit by radio waves
or microwaves which we cannot see, and we can barely contemplate without
an appliance. What does it mean? I don't know. But I find it unique that
there is this International Aesthetic which is so evident and yet so
invisible, just as electricity is an invisible subject. All of the
typological buildings have power that is represented in the United Nations,
Such as the Atomic Energy, Electrical, Telecommunications organizations.
In a way, these buildings represent this order. A radio station is a
radio station. I've really winded this one out, and I probably haven't
said much of anything, but my intention is to address the _meaning_
electricity has in our world society, how it _is_ the same everywhere,
and the _value_ it holds over our senses-- through Architecture.
If I were a scholar I would write about this architecture of electricity
as the continuation of classical architecture. (Common Aesthetic, Common
Government, Common Building Types). Overall, and most immediate, it seems
that no one places much importance in this lifeblood of modernity, and any
study under this subject begins either in abstraction or scientific
discourse. People have never rationalized the control it has over living.
I am in awe of this architecture. I go outside and I see the poles and
towers everywhere. Some of my favorite landscapes include unique and
visually stunning arrangements of the pole/tower aesthetic. Some of the
best architecture I have seen is Engineered (Dams/Powerstations), and some
of my most interesting experiences have been in noticing the migration of
religious symbolism into the aesthetic, including the "cobra" streetlamp.
Another goal of mine is to make a map of electrical typological buildings
and others, in order that people in a given region would be able to visit
these sites and _learn_ about the buildings themselves, and how they
function. Such as mapping the dams, powerstations, radio-tv stations,
wastewater treatment plants, gas plants, etc.. and tour hours for these
places. Included in this map would be unique electrical landscapes...
Such as the High-Voltage Transformers that exist on the edge of cities,
to bring power underground. I wanted to include the poles and towers
in a map, but they are six-football fields long! Anyway, I am trying to
show evidence of the electrical system as architecture, and to address the
_meaning_ of this system as our modern architecture which has not been
discussed for 100+ years. As the information highway is developing
under this same system, it will also have the same order. So to better
understand the order (architecturally) which underlies them all (radio, tv,
phone, computer) would allow a wider audience a wider understanding of
an ever-increasingly complex environment. And then, maybe, this
understanding could allow architecture to "enlighten" and increase
awareness of the environment.

>Secondly, if you are looking at the architecture of electricity, why look at
>sculpture and follies when you could examine sub-stations, hydro-electric
>dams, nuclear power plants or high tension wires? With-in each of those
>typologies, I'm sure you'll find examples of great vernacular style and/or
>high architecture. (But if you're really interested in public art about
>electricity, call someone at Seattle City Light. They used public art funds
>to commission works for all their sub-stations.)

In the sculpture and folly, the _meaning_ of the electrical system can be
understood as architecture/art (and less as engineering). This seems
necessary so that others can "notice" this invisible system. Yes, I agree
that within the typologies their is high architecture; but first I have to
convince professors that the buildings are _more_ than engineering. This
seems to be the big problem, nobody believes the electrical system could
be architecture. It is too ethereal and sounds too much like a grand
unified theory.

Thanks for responding,
brian carroll
carr0023@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx