Re: Attention: Seek thesis info

- - The original note follows - -

From: Fra Diabolo <ast107@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Attention: Seek thesis info
Date: 15 Jul 1994 21:44:11 GMT

> >> The way we work at the moment is to filter out knowledge saturation.
> >> Knowledge we have already determines what knowledge we will "see" in
any
> >> array of information made available too us. Saturation is only a
> >problem when
> >> you can't "see" anything (ie. you can see noise)
> >The gestalt gang will not agree with your position on how we obtain
> >information from our surroundings. Besides, saturation occurs when the
> >information treshold is met and not after it happens.
>
> I think that there is a constant state of information saturation out
there
> we just chose not to or can't see it. I see little fires in the sky and
> some other person sees a comet hurtling to a cataclysmic end in the
atmosphere
> of a gas giant.

In general aggrement with most of the content of your (M Carr) reply, I
am compelled to clarify my interpretation of information saturation.
Understanding vision as a retinal image that contains potential
information, as did Descartes and others, a strong general arguement for
the constant state of information saturation can be had. However, due to
the fact that most of the information available to our eyes is either
imperceptable or irresolvable, I favour the arguement that such
information, by itself, does not contribute to specific comprehension
therefore does not present itself as a component of information that can
lead to saturation. Example in point, a beach rarely represents itself as
a collection of individual grains of sand. We understand the nature of
that element at an entirely different level. The Gestalt law of Pragnanz
stipulates that : of the geometrically possible organizations that one
will actually occur which possesses the best, simplest and most stable
shape. With few reservations, this is my position on this issue. Concede
not, the nature of intrepretation such structures itself has been a hot
topic in psychology for a very long time.

tony