Re: Architecture and Electricity

RE "design for disassembly" and "Architects seldom plan the demolition of
their creations..."

One of the things we look at when we consider sustainability in structures
is recycling: With a little forethought (OK, a LOT of forethought!), we can
design structures that can be easily taken apart and reused somewhere else.
This can be done without any special consideration, but it is not as
efficient, requires more processing, and doesn't get the best recovery of
materials.

On the other hand, some buildings, primarily civic structures, should be of
a more "timeless" nature. Not that they shouldn't be recyclable, but they
should be built to last as befits their nature as civic expression. Buildings
that are more subject to market pressures should be adaptable, reusable and
recyclable.

Either build for next week, or build for 500 years!

Mark Darrall
Architecture
Ball State U.