Re: Can this profession be saved?

Thanks for your comments. I think it is precisely this problem of
"practice" that is already forcing architects to look at more diverse
forms of doing architecture. The skills an architect learns in school
go way beyond the nuts 'n' bolts of building, and should an architect
choose to utilize those skills outside traditional practice, all the
better. However, as long as architects DO decide to design buildings,
they will need some form of organized framework within which to do their
thing. Whether it is the legal/economic model or not, I don't know.

What I do see, though, is that even "practitioners" have surrendered
their power in the building process to the beancounters and lawyers in
favor of the artiste/stylist perception held by the laypeople. This
mode of operation is, I'm sure, at least part of the reason for the
lack of respect an architect receives.

Somewhere along the way, the profession has dropped the ball on
controlling or influencing how it is perceived.

That's all for now. Next?

BTW, I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my gender assumptions in
my last post---I'm JUST old enough that gender-neutral writing is
not natural! :)

Mark Darrall