GENERAL: ELAN Discussion Group.

From: IN%"timmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 19-JUL-1994 17:31:53.14
To: IN%"[email protected]" "Multiple recipients of list NEW-LIST"
CC:
Subj: NEW: ELAN - Environment in Latin America Network

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 09:57:08 CDT
From: "J. Timmons Roberts" <timmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: NEW: ELAN - Environment in Latin America Network
Sender: NEW-LIST - New List Announcements <[email protected]>
To: Multiple recipients of list NEW-LIST <[email protected]>
Comments: cc: new-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

ELAN on listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The ENVIRONMENT IN LATIN AMERICA NETWORK (ELAN)

Latin America's diverse ecosystems are the site of intense struggles
between myriad political and economic groups interested in their use
and/or protection. The ELAN open discussion group is designed to
raise critical issues and provide communication links between
researchers, activists, academics and other parties with interest in
the region.

We seek to promote wide-ranging multidisciplinary discussions on ELAN
which bring together a broader group of natural and social scientists
and practitioners than have so far addressed issues facing the
region.

ELAN should also serve as a network for researchers in discussing
data sources, contacts, books, and resources on the region. One
immediate task for ELAN is coordinating and organizing a series of
paper sessions and workshops for the upcoming fall, 1995 Latin
American Studies Association (LASA) conference. The deadline for
that conference is November, 1994. Announcements for other
conferences and journals will run on ELAN.

The ELAN listserver was established in July, 1994 by the Environment
and Natural Resources Working Group of the Latin American Studies
Association; its editors are David Barkin and Timmons Roberts.
David Barkin is Professor of Economics at the Universidad Autonoma
Metropolitana Xochimilco, Mexico, and Senior Fellow at the Lincoln
Insititute of Land Policy. Timmons Roberts is an Assistant Professor
of Sociology and Latin American Studies at Tulane University. The
co-chairs of the LASA working group are Janet Chernela of Florida
International University and David Barkin.

To subcribe to the list, send a message to listserv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx,
with only the text:

Sub ELAN Yourfirstname Yourlastname

If you have technical problems subscribing, please communicate
directly with Lynn Schaper at our host site, Communications for a
Sustainable Future: schaper@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

To post directly to the list, send your message to:
ELAN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note: only currently subscribed users can post to the list. If you
wish to communicate with the editors, write them directly:

Editors: David Barkin barkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Timmons Roberts timmons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Note also that we will be archiving the exchanges on the listserver
so that you can review what happened before you arrived. These
archives also include papers and data sets which are accessable to
anyone with Gopher capabilities. To access the ELAN archives, use
your Gopher to get to Colorado/CSF/and then move into the environment
front-line directory. These archives are open to both ELAN
subscribers and all others. Still, we encourage ELAN archive users
to join ELAN, and we will attempt to keep the net clear of extraneous
postings and make it possible for several more focused discussions to
go on at the same time.