ART: Duchamp Tidbit.

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 19-JUL-1994
22:00:22.57
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: Duchamp

Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 18:43:14 -0700
From: Michael Parry <mparry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Duchamp
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

For those interested in Duchamp and chess I found this tidbit in "The
Oxford Companion to Chess". I knew he was involved with the game but I
hadn't realized to what extent. I just thought I'd post this for the heck
of it.

Duchamp, Marcel (1887-1968), French chessplayer and renowned artist. A
competitor in the amateur championship of 1924, four French championships
from 1924 to 1928, and four Olympiads from 1928 to 1933, Duchamp also
played in several minor tournaments, notably sharing first prize at Hyeres
1928 and winning the championship of Paris in 1932. His obsession for the