Architecture in San Diego

the Salk Institute (Louis Kahn, 1965.) If you are driving down from L.A.,
it's just off Interstate-5 near La Jolla. Then you'll want to go into La
Jolla, I'm sure, so you might go by the Museum of Contemporary Art project
by Robert Venturi and Denise Scott Brown. We just had them here last week
for the ground breaking. The museum will not be open, of course, until
1996, but you can snoop around and check out the design. They have managed
to preserve the original museum building which was the home of Ellen
Browning Scripps(1916) and was designed by the major San Diego architect,
Irving Gill. (The original house had been obscured within the museum in
earlier renovations.) There are several Gill buildings across the street
from the museum including another Gill home which is now the delightful Bed
and Breakfast Inn at La Jolla (7753 Draper Ave., L.J. CA 92037.) The phone
# is (619)456-2066, in case you are interested. Gill had hoped to design
the major buildings for the Panama-California Exposition in Balboa Park
(1915) but lost out to Bertram Goodhue. Also in La Jolla is another
current building project which is a re-creation of an R.M. Schindler group
of beach cottages called Pueblo Rivera, originally built in 1923.
If you are going to be downtown San Diego, you might be interested in some
of the buildings by San Diego's most decorated contemporary architect, Rob
Wellington Quigley. He has done a couple of SRO's downtown which have a
great Bohemian atmosphere in case you're interested in some upscale
slumming. I've stayed in the one in Little Italy and loved it.
Also on the Interstate near La Jolla is the very controversial new Morman
Temple (especially appropriate if you're in a Disney mood - It would be
perfect in the Magic Kingdom.) and within a block of that is the relatively
new Hyatt Regency complex by Michael Graves.
You could make a spiritual journey to artist/architect James Hubbel's
compound near San Diego, if you are so inclined. He has also done some
interesting recent projects in Mexico and in Russia.
Well- hope this helps. I'm not an architect - just an aficionado - but I'll
be happy to give you more information (or send you some articles by snail
mail) about these buildings or others here in San Diego if you are
interested.
By the way, we have some nice buildings here at the University of
California campus including the Central Library by Wm Pereira - also just
off the Interstate near La Jolla.

Carolyn Myhre
cmyhre@xxxxxxxx
(619)597-2620