ART: SCAN Conference. [It's A Good One!]

From: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" 4-AUG-1994 13:40:47.33
To: IN%"artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
CC:
Subj: SCAN: Small Computers in the Arts: 14th Annual Symposium

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 1994 13:30:02 +0300
From: sf15@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Susan Farrell)
Subject: SCAN: Small Computers in the Arts: 14th Annual Symposium
Sender: artnet-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: artnet@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P L E A S E P O S T F A R A N D W I D E!

*********************** S C A N ************************
Small Computers In The Arts Network

Request for Paper and Workshop Proposals
CONFERENCE ANNOUNCEMENT

What: The 14th Annual Symposium on Small Computers in the Arts
Where: The Franklin Institute Science Museum, Philadelphia, PA
When: November 4th - 6th 1994,
Theme: Anarchy in the Arts: the techno - revolution.

SCAN is a small, intimate, friendly, inexpensive, grass-roots conference
for 2D and 3D computer artists, animators, video artists, electronic
musicians/ composers, sculptors, performance artists and arts /music
professors.
Now going on its 14th year... SCAN is created by its participants-be a
part of it!

The traditional bureaucracies of the art world are being challenged
by the decentralization of the tools of production, and the
evolution of artist - controlled distribution systems. More people are
able to get involved in more kinds of art than ever before.
Today, nearly everybody who buys a personal computer gets some kind of
paint program free most of them will try it out and some of those
will turn out to be artists. These are people who may have had no
exposure to traditional art instruction, and may not have been inclined
to pick up a sketch pad or paint set.

Composers of multi-instrumental musical works are now able to hear their
compositions performed on their own MIDI synthesizers, and no longer
have to work within a large institution to gain access to a suitable
group ofperformers.

Visual artists are establishing virtual galleries on the Internet.
Could this be the beginning of a new distribution system for artist's
art?

The Small Computers in the Arts Network will explore these and other
issues at this Fall's Symposium. SCANarchy has always been running in
the background at SCAN, and this is the year to celebrate it.
As always, our theme is meant to be more of a catalyst for your thoughts
than a criterion for admission.

C A L L F O R P A R T I C I P A T I O N:

We are seeking proposals for individual , group or corporate
participation in one or more of the following categories...

Papers: Publish in the 100+ page SCAN Proceedings
distributed at the Symposium.
Presentations: Discuss the nature of your talk/demonstration (45min.)
Panels: Propose a panel topic. Chair or request to participate
in a topic area.
Workshops: Hands on activities encouraged, but they should be as
self contained as possible, although we may be able to
provide some technical support and equipment.
Performances: For any of the performing arts, send an audio or video
tape to be considered for the evening performances.
Corporate presentations: Show us what you've got and what it can do.
Can you conduct a workshop which provides your product to our
visitors, or the sale of your product at a discounted fee? Keep in
mind the choice audience, and that they network.

Your proposal must include a complete list of all hardware, software,
peripheral devices and or AV equipment you will need for your work.
List what you will bring and what you need us to provide.
Also include a short bio, and if possible, a photo of yourself for
possible use in the publicity, program and or proceedings.

P R O P O S A L D E A D L I N E: August 12th
Mail to the address below.

Letters of acceptance will be sent out during the week of September 4th.

Topics of interest include those from all disciplines of the visual and
performing arts and the supporting technology. Computers in the Fine
Arts, 2D and 3D animation, Digital Photography, Multimedia, Sculpture,
Robotics Sculpture, CAD, MIDI Techniques, Simulation and Visualization,
Synthesizer and Sampler Demos, Graphic hardware/software, Desktop
Publishing, Interactive Media and CD ROM, Theater, Choreography and
Dance, Emerging Technologies and Prototypes, Computers in Art Education
and Legal Issues in Computer Art. Are we ready to add VR?

For more information:
Contact Heather Collins at
Small Computers in the Arts Network
P.O. Box 58057
Philadelphia , PA 19102-8057

e-mail: collins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Or contact Misako Scott at (610) 664 - 3417