Re: Affordable Housing Architecture

David,
Thanks for your reply. What I meant by "environment-friendly materials
and practices" is a broad range of things, including:

1. Jobsite cleanup and recycling (seperating scrap and such into seperate
bins for recycling and making sure toxics go to the right place)

2. Energy conservation

3. Designing-in of "green" (boy, I dislike that word!) materials like
low VOC adhesives, paints, and carpets, etc.; materials that have lower
embodied-energy values (using a parquet floor instead of sheet vinyl,
for instance); use of recycled products like Homosote sheathing or
underlayment.

4. Application of building science research towards improving energy
conservation and life safety conditions (like indoor air quality in
super-tight houses)

5. And in a much broader way, yet: How these things can be pursued on
a neighborhood-wide basis---sustainable communities.

We're now finshing the second of our Affordable Prototypes here in Muncie;
as we build, we try to find ways of incorporating the above items into
the design without breaking our client's back---and so far, it hasn't
been easy, but we're looking to make some gains on the third house which
we've just started.

David, please tell us a bit more about your program!

Regards,
Mark