ART: Green...

From: IN%"[email protected]" "Art Criticism Discussion Forum" 17-AUG-1994
13:56:42.64
To: IN%"HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx" "Howard Lawrence"
CC:
Subj: green art

Date: Tue, 16 Aug 1994 16:13:17 EDT
From: "TEDFORD, CATHERINE" <[email protected]>
Subject: green art
Sender: Art Criticism Discussion Forum <[email protected]>
To: Howard Lawrence <HRL@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am the Gallery Director at St. Lawrence University, and I am writing
to find artists and curators who have worked or are working with issues
regarding the environment. Every spring, SLU organizes a major festival
of the arts that is usually thematically based. For the spring of 1995,
a committee of about 10 faculty, students and staff are putting together
exhibitions, performances, music concerts, readings, panel discussions,
and films on the Green Art theme. I have included our working draft of
a mission statement, and I would appreciate hearing from anyone interest
ed in participating. Thanks in advance- Cathy Tedford

Mission Statement:

SLU's 1995 Festival of the Arts will feature art that assumes an ecolo
gically conscious perspective--whether in the subjects it portrays, the
message it communicates, or the processes and materials it employs. Thr
ough workshops, exhibits, literary readings, concerts, performances,
films, lectures, and panel discussions, the festival will bring to
campus art representing various degrees of engagement with environment-
al issues. Special emphasis will be given to hands-on participation,
and to activities that will have a beneficial, and possibly long-term
impact on the community.

The festival will examine such questions as: What is green art? How
are artists choosing to interact with an endangered world in the late
20th century? Are they witnesses? Are they activists? Can they be
both? To what extent might artists' contributions be contained,
controlled, or co-opted by the institutions whose practices they seek
to challenge? How does an artist or an activist address contradictions
between the message and the ecological impact of the medium used? Can
one person make a difference, by making or responding to art? Can one
festival make a difference?

PS- Interested individuals can also contact me by phone at 315 379-5174

Thanks-