Re: MoMA Exhibit Hoberman

- - The original note follows - -

From: aw@xxxxxxxxxxxx (Allen Wolf)
Subject: Re: MoMA Exhibit Hoberman
Date: 23 Aug 1994 22:50:21 -0400

>>The Frank Lloyd Wright exhibit seemed to be be a real
>blockbuster
>>Chuck Hoberman. There was a display
>>of expandable and retractable structures of domes and
>roofs that work very
>>similar like an iris.
>
>Yes. I saw it. It was pretty amazing. Im not sure if it
>is possible.
>MOMA displayed a larger
>scaled section of one of the rectractable members.

You might be interested to know that there is a continually
expanding/contracting sphere by Hoberman at the Liberty Science
Center in New Jersey, (close to N.Y.C.) in the middle of the
lobby. It's pretty fascinating. Also an article about Hoberman
in an old "Discover" magazine issue, which talks about some of
his other schemes.

I thought the Wright show was pretty great, primarily because
they had made several full-scale wall sections, of the "textile
blocks", various other concrete block experiments, the Usonian
House, the W.B. Tracy House, the Imperial Hotel masonry
details, also relief panels from the Coonley House, etc. I was
exremely annoyed that photography of the wall mock-ups was not
allowed, since the show materials don't photograph them in
enough detail.

I'm trying to find out about a software program called DOE-2,
written jointly by the Department of Energy and some California
power company, whic can be used to analyze the energy costs of
a proposed building with regards to HVAC, lighting, solar gain,
the complete energy picture. Trying to find out if it can be
downloaded from the DOE
gopher, but am inexperienced in Internet.. any hints?

Thanks,

A Wolf.