Re: Help on Glass as a Smart Material

- - The original note follows - -

From: GLangdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Geoff M Langdon)
Subject: Re: Help on Glass as a Smart Material
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 1994 06:36:35 GMT

Nigel Pearson (nigel_p@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
: Can anyone please provide me with any information on photovoltaic,
photosensitive or photochromatic glass in particular with regard to
: its use as a smart material. Any suggestions as to where I might find such
information would be equally useful.

I did my Masters Thesis in Architecture on such materials - called smart
glass (or smartwalls) all under the category of "kinetic response systems".
Most of the good research on the various kinetic response glasses (as
they would relate to architecture) was done by the Solar Energy Research
Institute (SERI) in Golden, Colorado. The people at the NREL (National
Renewable Energy Laboratory) that replaced it may know where that
research is. One of the photochromic glasses, called CloudGel, is
stillunder a patent held by Day Chirauldi in California - it showes great
promise when combined with HeatMirror. Various Di-electric glasses,
changable with electric current (usually supplied by a companion
photoelectric array), have been demonstrated by Arco Solar, and others.

Let me know if I am on the right track and I can dig up some names and
addresses for you.
Geoffrey Moore Langdon
Architectectural CADD Consultants
508-927-6796