Re: the need for architects

Hi,
When it comes to technology and housing, we run into two issues:
1. What technology can DO for a house.
2. Finding a builder willing to INCORPORATE it.

Will smart wiring make a house really better? No. It will run some of
our appliances for us, maybe save a few bucks on energy (by micromanaging
the HVAC), but it'll cost a BUNCH to put in, draw power by itself, and
probably be an upkeep item (software updates, no doubt!)

What's the payback on photochromic glass in a house? I'll bet it's a lot
longer than for a Low-E window and a shade!

On the other hand, technology HAS been a help in some cases:

1. OSB---it's no better than plywood, but it IS cheaper, and makes
better use of second and third-growth trees.

2. Trus-joist flooring and other engineered lumber: much
better, costs a bit more but will get cheaper as dimension lumber gets too
expensive for its quality.

If you think about it, you can think of all kinds of stuff, but the problem
is, if the builder doesn't want to screw with your fancy materials, who's
gonna build your houses? Banks and contractors like sure things---they're
AFRAID of innovation as they see it as a risk to their profits. Here in
Indiana, you get a lot of funny looks from carpenters when you show them
your insulation details for the crawlspaces and attic just above the top
plates---almost no one is doing it "right"---even though the practices are
well-documented and are required by Indiana's energy code.

The other day, I mentioned an architect's job to educate the client---well,
we have to educate the builders and bankers, too!

Mark