Re: green buildings in europe

Thanks for your on-target questions about my use of 'another
kind of green
architecture' to characterize the polder reclamation project.

Consider this:

"Nature" - and our relationship to it - has meant different
things in the west in the 5th,
17th, and 20th centuries.

I suspect the 17th century Dutch saw moral as well as pragmatic
good in using
engineering/architecture to reclaim productive sites from the
tempestuous, ruthless sea
- redressing a natural imbalance so to speak. People felt
fairly confident about their
right to intercede in a natural world in which they were God's
chosen, pre-eminent
species - towards the putative improvement of humankind and
nature (more tulips=fewer shipwrecks).

I daresay the Netherlanders of that day would have defined
their polder project as
"green" engineering/architecture. We characterize it
differently today.

The current "green" definition is framed within Darwin's
worldview
and the natural models developed under its umbrella, including
the ecological. To the regret of many, Homo sapiens no longer
sits on a privileged throne in nature's scheme of things.

"Green", it seems to me, sees itself as an ethical and
pragmatic alternative to the
privileged throne scheme.

No doubt, the 22nd century will hold yet another view (dim?) of
current efforts.
Checking out 17th century polders and dikes may help make us
more thoughtful
about the "green" shades of the 90's.

Would be very interested in hearing other views on this.

Deborah Natsios