Social Issues and Architecture

From my experience the most frustrating and interesting part of being
an architecture student is in the attempt to address and interact with
social issues. In school this is encouraged, but often concrete evidence
cannot be found in the design to justify any real influence.

It seems the main obstacle is the level of abstraction in knowing the
issues to approach. It has come to my attention that it may be necessary
to have numbers, statistics, to make a hypothesis and proof.

-What buildings do you think address social issues in a way that can be
"read" and interpreted?

-What architects have focussed their work on addressing these issues?

-Do you know of any students that have been successful in presenting
their ideas on subjective social issue in objective terms?
If so, how?

I am trying to learn other ways to deal with the annoying abstractions
my brain relies upon when addressing a issues. Hopefully someone will
have some practical good advice, thanks.

bc