Re: Social Issues and Architecture

Dear Brian,
Re. your letter concerning social issues in Architecture and
Design.

I graduated from The Glasgow School of Art in 93 with my BA(hons) in
Interior Design, throughout the four years that I attended the Art School the
Interior Design course became renound for handling social issues within its
carricullum, set projects included a D.S.S. office, a reception space for the
R.N.I.B. and an environmentally friendly radio station. Students were also
involved in several live projects which dealt with social issues, for
example, the refurbishment of a prison, and old folks` home and a young persons`
training centre.

In answer to your question concerning students succesfully presenting objective
ideas on subjective social issues, many of the graduates from the above course
have written briefs for and completed their final projects entirely based around
socially sensitive areas. Of the ones that I can remember, there was a sanctuary
for victims of terrorism/dictatorships(?), a registary office, environmentally
aware urban housing, a centre for the visually impared, a nursary school and a
retirement hotel/home/complex.

I myself am also extremely interested in social issues within design,
my final project was an "Inner City Facility" which dealt with
some of the issues which face the prostitutes and the homeless in Glasgow. The
research ("hypothesis and proof") that i carried out involved a great deal of
reading, mostly from periodicals (CD ROMs are extremely useful for this),
however,
reading is no substitute for talking to the people concerned with your subject,
I talked to the homeless and the prostitiutes themselves, various social workers
and volentary carers who have knowledge of the people the project was intended
for,
the police, a sociologist of sexuallity and anyone who was unfortunate enough to
be in my company.

If you are interested in any more information on the above, please write back
, however, I will only be here for another week, hope to hear from you soon,
good luck!

Yours faithfully

Jason Milne.

P.S. Drew Plunkett, has written a short article in the Designers Journal,
september
1991(now disbanded) entitled "towards a new asthetic", which concerns social
issues in design.