Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

- - The original note follows - -

From: Tamara Chambless <tchambless@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 94 23:59:28 -0500

Over the past few years I have presented seminars to local architectural
students on topics including resumes, interviewing, "Between Design and
Construction - What an Architect Does". I am an architect with 15+ years
experience working for a medium sized firm in Dallas, Texas. I have a
desire to share my knowledge with those who care to learn from the experience
of others. I offer the following to inform students and interns what an
architect REALLY does. This is how it works in our firm. Other firms may
vary. I welcome feedback by e-mail or reply in this forum. Thanks.

PROJECT ARCHITECT RESPONSIBILITIES

SITE PLANNING
Prepare a project budget. Document owner approvals. Set up files
and a drawer for the drawings. Review owner provided information including
a Geotechnical report, an Environmental Report, Lease Documents, Building
Conditions reports, etc. Confirm current editions of local codes with
building officials. Check handicap code. Assign a project number. Conduct
meetings and issue meeting notes. Prepare and distribute project directory
includes names, addresses, phone/fax numbers, etc. of all parties involved
in the project. Prepare project schedule. Monitor contract and prepare
requests for Additional Services.

SCHEMATIC DESIGN
Coordinate preparation of design presentations. Document Owner
approvals. Documetn all communications requiring a record. Prepare
scheduling reports. Organize material samples and product cut sheets.
Conduct code review. Document building areas, parking counts, construction
types, and areas of the code used to justify this information. Review
survey prepared by civil engineer. Review programming requirements.
Conduct consultant meetings to inform them of project scope/progress and
to get their input for their systems.

DESIGN DEVELOPMENT
Coordinate preparation of design presentations. Conduct team meetings.
Conduct comprehensive code review. Prepare construction document index and
mini-set to determine drawings needed. Organizde Con/Doc material notes lists.
Coordinate with consultants. Have a "Kick-Off" meeting with consultants to
review scope and schedule and discuss design issues. Confirm MEP consultant
has coordinated with utility companies. Document all Owner approvals.

CONSTRUCTION DOCUMENTS
Coordinate preparation of construction drawings. Prepare and distri-
bute meeting notes. Document all communciations requiring a record including
phone calls, letters, meeting notes, transmittals, etc. Maintain project files.
Review project budget reports. Prepare project schedule reports. Coordinate
consultants. Update D/D Building Code Review. Meet with building officials
to review project. Review drawings. Issue 25% set. Review drawings. Issue
50% set. Review drawings. Issue 75% set. Review drawings. Issue 90% set.
Review drawings. Issue 100% complete set. Review drawings.
Submit for plan check with building dept and any other agencies that require
a review of drawings. Coordinate insurance requirements with owner. Prepare
specifications. (not in this order)

BIDDING
Assist owner in preparing a bid list. Issue drawings and specs to
all contractors. Answer bidders questions. Issue Addenda if required.
Prepare bid spread sheets. Assist owner in reviewing bids.

CONSTRUCTION ADMINISTRATION
Attend construction progress meetings. Review construction progress.
Prepare and issue field notes. File all communications. Answer contractor
questions. Review reports from Owner's Testing Lab. Review and approve all
Pay Applications. Prepare and issue Architect Supplemental Instructions.
Prepare and issue Proposal Requests. Prepare and issue Change Orders. Prepare
and issue Punch Lists. Prepare and issue Certificate of Substantial Completion.
Prepare and issue Record Drawings including list of finishes and materials.

POST CONSTRUCTION
Edit and archive project drawings and files, including CAD files.
Project Manuals, Design Presentation drawings, construction drawings,
submittals.

How much of this has your school taught you? If all this seems like unknown
territory, you have a lot to learn. Insist that your school teach you how to
do these things. Too often, your school will have focused only on one thing -
how to design. Students get very little exposure to the FACT that this is
not the only thing that architects are required to do. In order to get and
keep a job, you MUST know how to assist or perform the above tasks. If your
school is not teaching you these things, you are being short-changed, and your
school is misleading you in your education and not preparing you to be an
architect. I'd love feedback on what your education experience has been. Let's
insist together that schools teach us something we can actually use once we
graduate.

--
Tammy Chambless | The Society for the
tchambless@xxxxxxxxxx | Dissemination of