Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

This debate is current among architecture faculty. There's lots of pressure
to "roll back design" which "represents only about 10% of what architects
do." That position leads, ultimately, to the creation of a curriculum that
could best be taught in a vocational school.
I believe architectural education should be about thinking, exploring,
problem-solving, creativity, social awareness etc. rather than the acquisition
of technical skills that can easily be mastered in an internship period in an
office. If it's *skill acquisition* that's needed, maybe we should "roll
back education" and return to the 7-year apprenticeship, as qualification
to take the licensing exams. (Incidentally, the states that have
maintained this system have the largest numbers of women and minorities
included in the profession - see 1990 U.S. Census data!)