Forwarded mail....

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 23:57:14 -0400 (EDT)
From: Brian Thomas Rex <btr1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: tchambless@xxxxxxxxxx

Ms. Chambless,

Might I point out that higher education is more than a recipe book for
problem solving?

Higher Education (post high school) is about extending the abilities of
the mind to creatively identify and explore issues we face in our world.

The university is more than a trade school where we are taught to react
to problems in a preconditioned manner.

There should be some form of intermediary institution to replace the
death of the draftsman as a viable occupation, but the University should
not be reduced to Devry Institute-like operational education.

The saddest thing I have found in my early experiences in my profession
is the glut of more "seasoned" professionals eager to tear down and
devalue what I find as an incredibly enriching time of my life. When
taught well, the abilities learned in a design studio environment
(especially "lateral thinking", an ability rarely taught in other
academic disciplines) are, with some effort on our part, translatable to any
other type of "problem one may encounter.

Far too many of us are graduating with B.Arch and M.Arch degrees who
can't translate their knowledge from 5 or 6 years of chip and bristol
board to CD's and Sweets. Personally I don't think we should be so quick
the institution. Maybe we should look at trying a little harder
ourselves to use the lessons they offered to us.

Learning the multiplication tables in third grade never assured us an
income and career, but the ability to apply them abstractly has.

Education doesn't end at commencement ceremonies.

BTW:

I have a B.Sc.Arch (UTA)
B.Arch (Carleton)
M.Sc.Adv.Arch.Des.(Columbia)
and am in the employ of Cooper Robertson and Partners here in NYC.

I'd love to talk more about why you found your education deficient.

Brian Rex
(Originally from Garland)