Re: Forwarded mail....

this is in response to Brian Thomas. this might be a slight change of
subject, but i'd like to pursue the issue of design in hight education. I
am in my second year of teaching in a midwestern liberal arts college
(graphic design). My own background (yale BA, indiana MFA) is both
academic and theory oriented. AT my school here there is a constant
struggle between teaching design issues and how to use computers. I feel
strongly that the lateral and abstract thinking which is used in solving
design problems is way more long lasting both for the student and the
graphic design profession than how to vector line art on illustrator.
although i admit that students must have knowledge of software to gain
and entry level job upon graduation. I feel that many student blame the
school if they dont get a job, due to technical or theoretical
deficiency, when many of those students did not apply themselves to
learning while in school.

I feel that many of the classes do take on a high/school or trade school
mentality - it is easy to learn a computer program, but hard to grasp
concepts. sorry if i've rambled on too long. i'd appreciate any responses
to this subject mattter.