Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

Ray,
Don't forget DRINKING coffee; we do LOTS of that!

Yeah, the split between "technical" and "design" IS an artificial boundary,
but most studio profs have no problem with it---our reviews till now have
almost never addressed technical issues, and when they do, it's as an aside.
I guess what I'm asking for is a more integrated curriculum, where the studio
profs, being aware of what the students are discussing in tech classes, look
for the same issues and address them in the studio work.

Theory is important, and I'm not denegrating it, but if the practitioners
keep complaining that grads aren't equipped to work in an office, they are,
in fact, asking for the arch. education to include more practice-oriented
studies. This may require the change we're discussing.

I can't agree that grads should pay for their internship. Arch. grads are
already underpaid relative to their education; one reason is that offices
see them as being UNDERSKILLED in practice settings. Look at it this way:
When a law student graduates, they are essentially ready to practice law
(except for a license, which they can test for right after graduation).
When a med student graduates, they practice medicine. But when an
architecture student graduates from a five year program, all they can do
in an office is draw toilet details and run prints (this is how the
practitioners see it, mind you.).

There is no way the profession should support an unpaid apprenticeship or
one where the intern "pays tuition." If I am drawing toilet details, or
preparing finish schedules, or even running print sets, I am RESPONSIBLE
for my work and therefore SHOULD BE COMPENSATED. How much I am paid should
depend on the relative value of my work.

The practice and study of architecture is based on an almost 300-year old
tradition. While tradition is good for some things, it is not for others.
The profession needs to adapt to the current demands of technology, society,
and, of course, the market, while retaining the virtues of the tradition.
Abusing students and interns "just because that's the way it was when I was
young" is no reason.

Take care,
Mark