Re: Value of a contemporary architectural education

Wayne,

What of the poetic? What of beauty? Together, they only address one-third
of the Vitruvian ideal of "firmity, commodity and delight." Everyone here
is discussing this topic as though delight is something seperate from the
other two. What is an architect? An architect is an INTEGRATOR who is
called on to bring together all aspects of life as it relates to building.

I have never condoned the idea that design studio be eliminated from an
arch. curriculum (the "vocational school"mode that Ray so rightly fears),
but rather that the studio not be treated as the only thing that matters.
Studio is where the integration should happen, but it is (at least in our
program) typically overlooked in favor of formal or philosophical issues.

If it takes demphasizing studio work to achieve expanded teaching of technical
or practice subjects, so be it. If it takes making the MArch the first
professional degree, so be it.

All I know is that I'm spending about 30 hours/week on a 4 credit hour studio
course (not including the 12 contact hours/week), and about 10 hours/week
(outside of contact time) on the other THIRTEEN credit hours.
Somethin's outta whack here!

Mark