Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

This thread might be better called Paid Apprenticeships.

Look at it this way. Students pay tuition for classroom study, right.
If they paid for an apprenticeship, they would be more serious about
getting their moneys worth. I am not proposing this because it would
benefit either the employers or the universities. I think that it
would benefit the students. As with all other education, there should be
scholarships and stipends available. Indeed, I would even be in favor,
of a national granting system which made it free for students.
And this national grant could include a stipend for food and housing.

The intention is not to take money out of the pockets of students, it
is simply to reverse the value received relationship. In otherwords,
the intention is to establish a mechanism by which interns are guaranteed
value for their apprenticeships. Too often, apprenticeships are reduced
to fetch-and-carry and CAD-jockey jobs. The apprentices gain little experience
about the operations of the business. There are outstanding counter-
examples, architects who take their responsibilities to apprentices
very seriously, but they are the exception not the rule.

- Ray Lauzzana