So. California Architecture

OK, now I did it---since I'm taking time off from school for a quick trip
to LA and San Diego and missing a class field trip to do so, I've agreed
to do my field study there this semester.

So far, I've managed to fill an entire sheet of paper with a list of buildings
and sites I'd like to see---just in LA! Needless to say, I won't have time to
visit even a quarter of them, so I'm asking you folks for some help.

I would deeply appreciate suggestions in the form of a list of 5-10 sites---
I'll visit the top 4-5 vote getters if I can get to them.

Also, if you know visiting hours for any public sites, I'd appreciate your
passing them on.

Thanks much,
Mark