Re: Do You Know What an Architect REALLY Does?

>OK, I expect that there would be lots of problems with the notion of
>paid-internships, not the least of which would be the labor laws. But,
>the accreditation problem is easily resolved. Somce combination of
>tyhe University and professional accrediting boards could serve this
>function well. Obviously, these organizations would be open to graft
>and corruption, and there would be a need to regulate the regulators,
>but that is no worse than it is now in that regard.

Ray, the truth is that we have a form of paid internship already. Recent
graduates accept work at low pay in exchange for experience. I think we
should be concentrating on raising the compensation of architects generally
(easy to say, hard to do) or else reducing the number of students to meet
the demand.

I know you've said that architectural education is good preparation for
other things, and I belive you are sincere, but can you document that with
specific examples? Shouldn't we more overtly extend architectural
education to include these other things? Maybe call it something else?

I'm certain that if you polled architectural students, the vast majority of
them would say they intend to become architects.

Jonathan Cohen, AIA
246 First St., Suite 203
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA
email: kvetcher@xxxxxxxx