Re: Ethics of computer enhanced photographic images

>I am trying to find information on the impact of computer technology on the
>role of the photographer and the social and ethical implications this has
>for the future of the "photorealistic image".
>The person requesting the information is not interested in the computer
>software used to produce an enhanced image or the use that may be made of
>these techniques in the fields of visual arts. She is seeking information
>on this topic related to photojournalism or commercial photography.
>
>Please reply to me personally at J.Slater@xxxxxxxxxx
>Joy Slater,
>Faculty Liaison Librarian,
>Design, Architecture and Building,
>University of Technology, Sydney.

Bill Mitchell (William J.) released a book last year called "The
Reconfigured Eye: Visual Truth in the Post-Photographic Era" ISBN
0-262-13286-9, from MIT Press. It is an excellent book, as are his others,
and is one of the first works on the subject I came across, although I had
never looked for one :-)

To quote the jacket cover flap "Enhanced? Or faked? Today the very idea of
photographic veracity is being challenged by the emerging technology of
digital image manipulation and synthesis: photographs can now be altered
iat will in ways that are virtually undectectable, and photorealistic
synthesized images are becoming increasingly difficult to distinguish from
actual photgraphs"

That alone should be enough of a clue if this book is for you.

Hope this helps.

Dwayne Sandall
Advanced Visualization Laboratory
Faculty of Architecture
University of Manitoba, Canada
(204)474-6963 (fax)275-7198

<< only the mediocre are at their best all the time >>