Re: graphic design education

Emily:
Re:
>I'm intereste in finding out what your curriculum includes, both within
>graphic design and any other areas that you work in. Is there anything
>which your curriculum lacks?

It's interesting to me that you would pose the question in terms of what
it lacks! (Though I'm sure you meant it as an extension of wondering
what the curriculum offers.)
The graduate progam at Cal Arts is focused on asking questions of oneself
about the process, practice and cultural consequences of design. It is
well founded in design history and theory. Graduate students are free to
take courses in all disciplines, including critical studies, film and video
theater, etc. to augment the core design seminars. Thesis projects often
address contemporary theoretical issues, but the final emphasis is upon
discovering one's own point of view and attempting to invent a formal language
for that point of view.
Denise