Re: IDLE CHIT-CHAT

Wayde Justin Tardif writes

>I am amazed at the level of idle chit-chat that goes on here.

This criticism parallels the original criticisms of very earliest
internet--it was used socially much more than expected. The argument goes
back further, to the beginnings of the telephone and, I would guess,
telegraph. There's a wonderful Kipling poem called "A Code of Morals"
about a love letter sent via military semaphore, and the Colonel who
intercepted it ("Egads, we've tapped a private line.")

It seems an inherent characteristic of this medium that we humanize it with
some idle chit-chat. It is probably as well that the social character of
the medium is so seductive--if it were not, the Net would probably still be
all military and computer research.

>Shouldn't
>people use this LIST as a place to exchange, discuss, and critizize
>concepts relavent to DESIGN? It seems that this is the forum for such
>activities, not for personal questions being queried between individuals.
>These queries are sent to the list of roughly 325 people who have to delete
>the mail messages their boxes and probably don't want to view them anyway.
>Peoples individual addresses are given at the top of the messages; ie
> IN%"JOESHMO@xxxxxxxxxxxx" Messages between
>people should be communicated that way.

Mmmmm. I know I've made the mistake of replying to the whole list when I
meant to reply to an individual. I kind of think the list software ought
to be set up so that the "from" address is the orignal sender's address;
then one would have to explicitly specify the list to send to all of it.

Randolph Fritz
randolph@xxxxxxxxxx