Re: Intelligent Interior Design

Ray,

a system prone to constraints is necessary if you think about an activity that
should proceed in a criticize/refine way, like design activity.
But, of course, the system always imposes some constraints to the user, because
it works only in a well-defined domain. Anyway, in the domain the user should be
freed from system constraint as much as possible.

> Have you looked at "shape grammar" systems? Generally speaking, they are
> not interactive. But, they do generate design alternatives from basic
> rules given some intitial constraints. Just exactly how this "guidance"
> of the system would work does not seem to be very clear. There are lots
> of models for it, ie. from learning(example-counterexample).

I've read something about that from Mary Lou Maher. She was presenting some
different approach to design, including shape grammars (AI Magazine, vol 11,
no 4, winter 1990). I think that shape grammars could be used in a well defined
particular context. To manage context maybe it could be used something like
case-based reasoning. It's a little like the relation between mixed frame- and
rule- expert system.

What is your opinion?

Bye, Giuliano

PS: please, include your email address, I can't recognize it!

--
Piergiuliano Bossi
e-mail: bossi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx