Re: FLW Imperial Hotel

>> "It consisted of
>> coils of pipe beneath the concrete slab that circulate warm water,r
>> thus heating the slab, creating no drafts. Wright first discovered
>> this system during his sojourn in Japan."
>
>I am not so sure that floor heating systems create no drafts. Maybe
>someone knows more about thermodynamics and can explain why or why not ?

I assume because there is no air handling involved; heat is transferred by
radiation. If you want ventilation, you must open a window.

I'm using hydronic radiant floor system for a new preschool/child care
center I'm designing in Marin County, California (not far from FLW's great
Marin Civic Center). The children are small and spend most of their time
on the floor, so it seems like a very good application for it. We'll see
how it works out.

Jonathan Cohen, AIA
246 First St., Suite 203
San Francisco, CA 94105 USA