Re: Hiring & Salary Survey

- - The original note follows - -

From: GLangdon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Geoff M Langdon)
Subject: Re: Hiring & Salary Survey
Date: Sat, 8 Oct 1994 20:43:43 GMT

Charles=Wittleder%FMM%USACERL@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

The fact that most firms put equal weight on an MArch versus a BArch is
more a reflection of reality - in that most MArch programs are really
first professional degree programs, rather than advanced study in
Architecture. In other words, either way, you get someone with only 3 to
5 years experience/schooling in Architecture....and most people would
agree that most education about how to actually work in this profession
starts AFTER that.
I went back for my Masters in Architecture back in the 70's specifically
to study more about Solar Architecture, and found that, after switching
my thesis to a Master of Science in Architecture, my work was better
regarded. I know many who have their BArch's and Master of Science
degrees (studying some technology with respect to architecture i.e. Solar
Engineering, Structural Engineering, Computer Aided Design, etc) like
myself who have found that this combination actually helps you leapfrog
the traditional work your way up the office path.
Having a specialty to offer within architecture, whether it is expertice
in materials, fabrics, lighting, rendering,structural detailing, specs,
CADD, space planning, urban design, or whatever seems to help.
In order to establish expertice, or credentials, in some of those
architectural specialties frequently requires further study...maybe a
Masters degree.