Re: FLW Imperial Hotel

>Are there any good books out there which treat this history (history which
>include engineering >concerns other than/in addition to structures)? I know
>that there are great examples of "central heating" for entire cities -
>Utrecht as a medieval example and NYC as a 19th century example. This sounds
>like an outstanding alternative history to the usual architectural
> metanarrative.
>Is there anyone ourt there who is well informed on this subject?
>
>- Ray Lauzzana

While I would not presume to be "well informed" I would suggest several
interesting books.

"Home Fires Burning" and "Clean and Decent" are two interesting books by
Lawrence Wright. these are rather factual and quite humorous.

"Arcitecture of the Well Tempered Environment" by Banham is an interesting
book which covers the thermal issues in a rather innovative manner. This
is an excellent reading.

David Lee Smith