Re: FLW Imperial Hotel

Heated floors work by radiation; there may be a convective current, but
it would be negligible. On the other hand, if there's significant
infiltration near the floor/wall joint (door threshold, say), that air
may ride that convective current and cause a minor draft at that place.

The success of radiant floors is through two effects:
1. You don't have to pay for energy to heat air, only surfaces
2. There is a psychological component to human comfort---if
we have warm feet, we feel comfortable---even if our head is a little cooler.

In radiant floor systems, the floor surface is typically 80 deg. F or so; the
air temp at head level is in the mid 60s, I think. Our hands, typically a bit
lower down, are a bit warmer. It's a "natural" system in that it follows
human patterns.

Also, it is an environmentally sound solution in that it heats only what is
needed to be heated, and can typically be driven by teeing into a high-
efficiency HWH, and using a little pump. For some more money, you can get
zone control (if needed) to follow use patterns or the sun.

Mark