Re: Classification of Architectural Information

- - The original note follows - -

From: cs@xxxxxxx (Michael Carradine)
Subject: Re: Classification of Architectural Information
Date: 13 Oct 1994 22:02:28 GMT

SALIH OFLUOGLU (SXO4@xxxxxxx) wrote:
: As a part of my master's thesis I try to classify architectural information
: according to its content and presentation style. Consequently, I would like
: to find in what extent and form of information architects need.

Im not entirely certain what it is that you are trying to classify. Most
architectural firms are interested in classifying construction materials,
processes, and equipment, and in the US would be using the Construction
Specification Institute (CSI) categories. There are about 17 major
categories (Electrical, Furnishings, etc) each of which is subdivided
resulting in a 5 digit number for each item. These classifications are
then the basis of the Specifications, the written document in support of
the construction drawings.

Architectural works, in a historical setting, are classified according to
the architect/artist/author/owner, construction/design date, historical
period/style, location, etc.

In your case, if you have items by 'content' and 'presentation style', it
seems to me that you already have two classification catergories (or a
matrix). Subdivide each category further and fit your items to it. You
seem to be doing something unique, and will require a unique solution!

--
Michael Carradine Carradine Studios cs@xxxxxxx
Architect Architecture Development Planning Tel 510-254-3324