Re: College Freshman Looking for Advice

- - The original note follows - -

From: kwhg7173@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (K W Harkins )
Subject: Re: College Freshman Looking for Advice
Date: 13 Oct 1994 23:50:34 GMT

As a graduate of the BSAS and MArch programs at UIUC I am a bit biased.
Therefore, I will give you my 2.3 cents worth about UIUC.

I began here in Landscape Architecture, simply because it was easier
to be accepted. After a year I transferred into Liberal Arts General
Curriculum. During this whole time I took the typical Architecture
courses, even design studios, and befriended a powerful individual
in the undergrad advising area at UIUC. After I graduated in 91, I
continued in the grad program in Structures option. I found the
undergrad curriculum to be well rounded, but heavy in design, although
most would believe it heavy in technology and structures. The
graduate program in Structures is well respected in the engineering
community as the graduates have a solid base in architecture as
well as structural engineering. I don't know of what the opinion
is at other universities or other parts of the country except
the midwest. There are some firms who will hire only Uof I grads
and many who prefer them.

I continued to get my M.S. in Civil Engineering to get a more
theoretical background in Structural Engineering, which the
Architecture program doesn't provide. Their belief is that
they want to produce people who can practice Architecture, even
down to have a former member of the NCARB exam grading committee
as a professor who teaches a class called "ARchitectural Practice".
How convenient.

If you want to practice ARchitecture, and you are not afraid of spending
many many late nights at studio, loss of a social life (only temporary)
and little if any recognition and reimbursement for your services,
then go to UIUC or any other good ARch. program. If you love
ARchitecture, you'll know after the second year or so.

I would hire a UIUC grad in a minute. They would be able to work
independently with a great deal of skill and knowledge. They will
]also be able to pass the ARE with some effort, in many cases
on the first try. Good Luck

Kevin Harkins
BSAS '91, MArch '93
Department of Civil Engineering