[no subject]

(Smail3.1.28.1 #24) id m0qvsjH-0000gpC; Fri, 14 Oct 94 12:55 PDT
To: design-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: mdespot@xxxxxxxxxx (Michel de Spot)
Subject: Re: Radiant heat FLW Imperial Hotel
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 1994 12:57:35
cc: mdespot@xxxxxxxxxx

In article David Lee Smith <David.Smith@xxxxxx> writes:
> radiant panel systems cannot input the
>heat at the point where it should be placed -

I'm not sure if I would aggree with David.
With radiant floor, you can very effectively control the energy load by
installing closer piping loops near the cool location of your building (
windows, doors,...)

> Also, while the intention of radiant heating is to utilize radiant
>transfer as the means of control, if the radiant panel is the floor, the
>warmer surface results in convective transfer within the room air - so the
>air is heated.

There are only 3 fundamental types of heat transfer: Convection, Conduction,
Radiation. While no heating system is 100% of a type, radiant floor heating
is MAINLY radiant, convection & conduction are minimal. The human body looses
heat by radiation and perspiration, that's why both clothes and ambient
humidity control are so important for our comfort. The way radiant heating
system works is by creating an equilibrium of radiant energy that matches the
human (or the cat!) energy radiation. Radiant heating does not work by heating
the air ( [***conduction***) that in turn travel to the body [***
convection***] and then heat the body [***conduction***]. Physics is simplier
than that , radiant heat heats your body by *** radiation ***.
Of course, you are right to say that it is not an 100% radiant process, and
the cat still prefers to sleep where the warm water pipes enters the concrete
floor.

Michel de Spot. P.Eng. mdespot@xxxxxxxxxx