Re: Ambassadors' Residences

>Anyway, a couple of years ago I saw a set of plans smuggled out
>of a then-chic NYC firm for one such US residence in an
>embattled eastern-mediterranean country. The blueprints were
>stamped: Top Secret -- Not for distribution. Honest.

Makes sense. Why hand out the road map to the ambassador's bedroom to any
terrorist lurking about. Though, I imagine it would be hard to prevent the
creation of an 'as-built' by the local labor force. Or do they bring in
Seabees or otherwise 'cleared' Americans to build such sensitive outposts?
Probably not, if as I remember, the Russians were able to bug the new
Embassy in Moscow.

>The furniture placement was not evident, but the following
>features were pointed out to me by the designer: rooms not
>identified on plans for the protection of occupants, escape
>tunnels burrowing out from under building, room-sized fireproof
>safes for valuable documents, anti-bomb-attack double-wall
>exterior construction (innovative engineering), etc.

I said that innovation in architecure had it role!!

David Sucher

David Sucher...author/photographer...Seattle, Washington
CITY COMFORTS: How to Build an Urban Village
CITY COMFORTS is not about any particular city.
It is an attempt to shift the focus of public policy discussion from
systems and large projects and grandiose visions to the details that create
our daily experience. It is about a way of looking at and speaking about
our physical environment.