(Fwd) Re: Architexture

Forwarding Fiction-of-Philosophy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx mail by:
Subject907@xxxxxxx () on Fri, 14 Oct 2:37 AM
-------------------

I have been out of touch, so excuse my tardy foray into this
thread. One (dis)claimer: I am preparing this rather
extemporaneously, so forgive lapses
of logic. And one request: last names might be nice if one
isn't worried about anonymity. I haven't been on this list
long, so I may have missed the opportunity of learning these
things, and I am curious if any of the folks commenting thus
far have any institutional legitmacy (for instance, no Lebbus
Woods post, though he has participated in a work, which may be
a show or book, I forget which, that is explicitly about
architecture and war, namely Sarajevo, but maybe everyone
knows this already). Not that I require institutional
legitmacy, but Princeton Architecutral Press is floundering to
start up Architecture Online (not to be confused with AIA
Online, which is a tool of the Man), which has been touted as
the electronic equivalent of Assemblage (if my inferences are
accurate), and I expect lots of big stars, or at least young
hotshots to show up there (Brian Boigon, Mark Ratanansky,
Jennifer Bloomer, Catherine Inghram, Jeff Kipnis, Ann Bergen,
et al, just to drop some names, and forgive the misspellings,
and I know that some aren't that young), so I just wondered if
some of them were here too. An aside, forgive.

A good concise argument about the role of postmoderninsm in
arch., is in _Recodings_ by Hal Foster (no longer a trendy
reference, but a good start). Also, there is _Deconstructing
the Kimball_ by someone I forget that argues that the
integration of literary theory into form does not necessatate a
particular stylistic idiom. As I think more, there are two
ways to explore this issue: documented works and texts.
Whereas the Semiotext(e) book might argue that it tried to
integrate the two, I would frimly place it in the category of
the former. Also, _Divisible by 2_ by John Whiteman (MIT),
_Planned Assualts_ by Lars Lerup (which includes a
reading/rewriting of _The Lover's Discourse_ as a
building/text) and _9H On Rigour_ Burdett/Wong, eds. (MIT).
The latter might include _Strategies in Architectrual Thinking_
Whiteman/Kipnis/Burdett, eds (MIT), _Architecture CritIcism
Ideology_ Ockman, ed (Princeton), and a slew of essay
collections in the Princeton Arch Press catalog.

The most interesting work porbably is the rebirth of geography
(that might be a bad phrasing, for I am a neophyte here).
People like David Harvey and Edward Soja have been working
some time developing the notion of a 'postmodern geography'
(Soja's book has that very title). They are big fans of
Lefebvre, if you want to look further back (_The Production of
Space_ and _Critique of Everyday Life_ are his two most widely
circulated titles in translation). If my rudimentary
understanding of the diverse and complex postions in critical,
arhcitectural and literary theory are of any value, this is
the most promising work to be done (in our country, anyways) in
some time. Later I might try to substantiate that claim, but
I'm tired, and feel blindsided in that I have been trying to
puzzle through that relationship between fiction and
architecture for a few years now, and only recently have
thought anything cogent, so I am unprepared to launch it now.

Oh, a pointless coincidence. There is, of course, a book out
called _Re-Architecture_ (Daniel Solomon, I think, but don't
hold me to that).

n musolino
subject907@xxxxxxx