Re: FLW Imperial Hotel

As a lurker on this list I have been listening to the disussion of
radiant floor heating and have a few comments to make simply as a
benificiary of the system. I live in a house with radiant floors built
back in the 40's. I love it still after 10 years in the house. (and the
cats and dogs love it too)

The house was built at a time when gas was cheap and plentiful and the
slab was covered with parquet wood flooring. When we moved in we pulled
up the floor and laid ceramic tile. Cool in the Summer and warm from the
water pipes in the Winter. A small pump pushes the circulating water and
a very inefficient HWH supplies the hot water. We seem to keep the water
temperature at 90-95 degrees and at the coldest time of year (in Arkansas
it can get down to 0F) I have set the temp to 100 to keep the perimeter
supplied with heat. That does tend to make the area nearest the system
too warm but luckily that's my wifes favorite room (the bathroom) and she
says she likes it.

The previous owner said it was difficult to sell because people couldn't
understand the heating system. That may explain why the house has had a
succession of artists as owners. I have never been happy with hot air
heating because it seems to dry me out even with a working humidifier
installed.

Another interesting point is that the hills in this neck of the woods are
constantly shifting and so the slab has moved in several areas (it is a
multilevel house with a number of components on each level. The copper
pipes which carry the water and run between component sections of the
house are still intact after all these years though the shift has been as
much as 2-3" in some areas. I guess the copper was able to give a little.

So, I endorse the system because of it's real comfort to me.

Hank Kaminsky (kaminsky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)
543 Assembly Rd. (Home) 501-443-2077
641 West 6th St. (Studio) 501-442-5805
Fayetteville AR 72701