architectural theory

ARCHITECTURAL THEORY.
CURRENT STATE AND DEVELOPMENT

Is there anybody interested in discussing current approaches to the
teaching of architectural theories at the US schools of architecture?

I would like to know what types of discourses are being used to
inform the teaching of architectural theories courses both at the
undergraduate and graduate levels.

I am very concern with the strong emphasis in post-structuralist
thought. It is noticeable the impact of the critical theory approach in
late architectural discourses. Take for example recent published
books, such as Perez-Gomez`s Polyphilo or the Dark Forest Revisited.
An Erotic Epiphany of Architecture or Eisenman`s Anyone. Some
specialize magazines, such as Assemblage and JAE, also abound in the
subject. As a consequence, late architectural discourses reflect a
hermetic, cryptographic, and difficult to understand discourse.
Contributing to entangled the problems of architectural design and its
process of construction.

Is there any direct relationship between what is being taught at the
theoretical courses and the studios?

What had happened with other current theoretical and/or philosophical
concerns such as sustainability, tectonics and regionalism?

I attended the ACSA 1994`s Teacher Seminar at Cranbrook and nobody
dared to talk about deconstruction, post-structuralism or the-likes.
However, the majority of the attendees were from the central, south
east, south west and north west schools of architecture. Nobody came
from the Ivy-league nor the avant-garde's schools. Is this a clue to the
understanding of what is being taught at different schools?

One way to develop a critical view on this topic will be reviewing the
programs and content of what is being taught at the theories of
architecture courses. For this purpose, I would like to receive current
course descriptions, syllabus or outlines, and bibliographies on the
subject.

Thank you very much for your attention.

Abner J. Colmenares
By the way, I teach architectural design and theories of architecture at
the Central University of Venezuela, School of Architecture at
Caracas.